Giving is up 3.5%. Does that give you reason to feel promise? Or is it cause for continued anxiety? Either way you look at it, the 2013 Giving USA report reminds us of the fact that philanthropy continues to be an American value and one whose impact is felt globally.
So, as you find time to read through this report or focus on the highlights, here are three things you can do before the end of summer to make this report even more applicable in your work.
- Make the data relevant to philanthropy at your organization
- Understand the percentage of giving from individuals, corporations, foundations, and bequests to your organization: what does your portfolio look like? (For our podcast on building a balanced portfolio, click here and find episode 23.)
- Think about how your percentages compare to national trends: If giving from individuals is low, you have a case to increase time and energy in building your individual giving program especially since individuals account for more than 83% of giving nationally (this number raises to more than 86% when you account for family foundations).
2. Create your own Giving USA report focused on your organization
- Leverage your existing annual report with even more stories – and photos! – of impact.
- Take the time now to create brief impact statements to share with your donors now. Share stories of recent impact rather than only telling the story of things you accomplished more than a year ago.
- Find five well-connected champions within your donor base to share your story and their involvement through their social media channels. Increase this number as you refine this approach.
3. Share highlights from the report with your top donors, prospects and volunteers
- Have conversations about philanthropy with your current and potential donors. How does your organization compare to others within your sector? Sharing that context can generate pride in your strength, deepen understanding of the challenges you face and create motivation to be a part of the solution in your organization.
- Use this as an opportunity to celebrate philanthropy, not just at your organization but to other causes as well!
- And use this conversation as a springboard to other specific questions about donor philanthropy. Where is our organization on your list of philanthropic priorities? How can we move up your list? What type of impact would you like to have with your philanthropy to our organization? Do you feel you are having this type of impact now? Why or why not?
Giving USA is a great resource we have to better understand the pulse of philanthropy on an annual basis. It provides great insight and detail on the type of philanthropy happening around the country and it’s up to us to have that same level of insight into giving at our own organizations. It’s a worthwhile quest and one that deepens our relationships with our donors and the investment they have in impacting our mission. Stay tuned for more perspectives on Giving USA from The Osborne Group.